Wednesday, September 23, 2009

BUSTED!

It's been a long time since our yard was rolled! It may have been when the girls were in high school, but I can't remember. But it's "Homecoming Week," and yesterday at Civic Club the talk was about whose house had been rolled and how many times! Tonight as I was putting on a new bedspread in Anna's room, I noticed some lights out front in the driveway. Then I heard some talking outside and someone banging on the front door. It scared me a little, so I hollered at Stacy to answer the door. Well, I waited and heard him talking, so I went outside.

The Sheriff's Deputy was on my front porch, and there were boys all over the front yard. It seems they had rolled the tulip poplar out front (it's about the only tree we have left in the front yard). Just lucky for them, the Sheriff's Deputy was driving down our road about that time and said he saw the white toilet paper blowing in the lights. Then he saw the eight boys trying to hide behind the tree! Oops! Busted!

They made the boys take down all the paper they could reach -- I wouldn't let them climb the tree because I didn't want anyone to get hurt -- and Stacy made them put the paper in a box and pose with it! Then Stacy went over the whole yard with a flashlight and made them pick up every piece of white in the yard!!! It was too funny! One said he almost jumped the fence. Good thing he didn't, there's an electric fence on the other side!

I don't know what will happen to them tomorrow at school! I told Stacy not to be too hard on them. I can remember doing a few pranks when I was in school -- and I got caught sometimes, too! It's not as bad as the donuts someone did in the yard once with a pickup truck! Right after we moved here, some of Stacy's students built a structure spelling out a nickname they came up with for him! I remember telling him at the time, "At least they used some of their construction skills they learned in Ag!"

What makes all this even funnier -- one of the boys was the Sheriff's son! I'm sure that poor Deputy didn't want to make that call! I kind of feel special -- like I'm one of the crowd!