Monday, February 8, 2010

Small Crowd . . . Good Show!

Bec and I went to a play Friday night at the Featured Players in Dothan -- Bell, Book and Candle. It's kind of a "laid back" type of place that has open mike night and music during the week. I had been there before with Tammie back in October. Instead of theatre seats, they have sofas and chairs that they've picked up from various places. Kind of cool and bohemian -- eclectic, like me!

I had emailed and made our reservations, and we got there about 15 minutes before the play was to start -- and we were the only ones there! I mean, we had a choice of seats! So, I thought, maybe everyone else is running late, and they'll come in a few minutes. But, no -- no one else -- except one guy . . . who was the boyfriend of one of the girls in the play!

So we took our seats . . . on the front row of course! At least I didn't have to worry about someone with a big head or hair sitting in front of me -- which always happens to me! We got our door prize tickets (good chance we might win)! And it's a really wierd feeling to be the only ones there!

The play was actually really good. All of the actors did an excellent job -- and they must have felt wierd too, playing to only three people -- on opening night! I had seen the movie before (Kim Novak, Jimmy Stewart and Jack Lemmon) and kind of remembered the plot. If Jimmy Stewart was in it, it can't be bad, can it? Here's the movie at Amazon.

It's a love story about a witch Gillian, her suave brother Nicky, her kooky aunt Queenie, a drunk author and, of course, the normal guy Shepard that Gillian falls in love with -- making her a witch no more! It even had a live cat! I was really getting into the story and enjoying the show. We clapped at intermission -- Bec won the door prize (two tickets to a future performance) -- and we gave a standing ovation at the end! It was hilarious!

But it's also really sad that they did all that preparation for just us! We're grateful, of course. I can only hope they had more the next night -- and will have even more as they play out for the month of February. We went because Bec's nickname at work is "Witchy" -- it's a long story for another time! But I look forward to more performances there and will go back. Maybe I should hope for a small crowd next time . . . so we can have those great front row seats again!

No comments: