Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day 1 on our Heart Healthy Diet

Stacy's close call -- not a heart attack but he had one artery 90-95% blocked and had a stint -- has really got his attention -- and mine too. We're both overweight and need to trim up our diet. The doctor told Stacy that particular artery (behind the heart that serves the lower portion) does not show up in a stress test. He would never have known until he got hit with the "big one" -- which the doctor said was the "silent but deadly" blockage -- he probably wouldn't have survived it. The reason for the heart cath was that he was getting short of breath and having chest tightness.

So now we're on the first day of our "Heart Healthy Diet"! On my shopping trip to the grocery store yesterday, I didn't purchase anything unless it was low fat, low sodium or no fat! His mom offered to buy shrimp last night, but Stacy said no thanks -- so she made him his favorite homemade Tomato Soup (no salt)!

I've been checking out recipes on different websites. Tonight's came from the Mayo Clinic:

Pork Chops with Black Currant Jam Sauce

1/4 cup black currant jam (I substituted blackberry jam)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoons olive oil
6 center cut loin pork chops (trim off all fat)
1/3 cup wine vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 orange slices (I left out the organes)

In a small bowl, whisk together the jam and mustard. In a large, nonstick frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the pork chops and cook, turning onece, until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. (I sprinkled with Mrs. Dash and a tiny bit of sea salt). Top each pork chop with 1 tablespoon of the jam-mustard mixture. Cover and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer the pork chops to warmed plates.

Cool the frying pan to a warm -- not hot -- temperature. Pour wine vinegar into the pan and stir to remove the bits of pork and jam. Pour the vinegar sauce over each pork chop. Sprinkle with pepper. Garnish with orange slices if desired.

We also had mixed steamed vegetables in a "light" sauce. No more meat, veggie & starch for dinner! Maybe I can have my rice and his mashed potatoes every once in a while! For desert, low fat yogurt or ice cream. Plus I have enough left over for another meal (I only cooked 4 pork chops.)

I give this pork chop recipe 4 stars -- it was very tasty -- nice flavor -- with a sauce (I don't like dry meats). It was a different type of flavor that I thought was very good -- a little sweet with a touch of the mustard taste for spiceyness! Stacy says he gives it 4 stars also! In fact, his comment was, "Was that really a healthy one?" So yea! Tomorrow night -- chicken!

No comments: