Monday, April 26, 2010

Zoo memories


Zoo's are so much fun! Casey and Kate took a road trip to visit with Anna this past weekend, and spent the day Friday at the Atlanta Zoo. Such cute photos, and Casey said Kate loved it -- especially the petting zoo! She thought Kate was going to climb on the pig, because it was the same color as their dog Cherokee, and Kate climbs all over him!

When the kids were smaller, every time we'd go to Memphis to visit, we always took a trip to the zoo and Pink Palace with Nanny and to the Children's Science Museum with Grandpa Hank. They always loved the zoo. I remember one time when Casey was still small in a stroller, we were looking at an ostrich -- and Casey kept calling "duck!" It was hilarious, and everyone around us laughed! The monkeys and gorillas were always a favorite too, but their homes smelled pretty bad.

When I was a kid, we always took a trip to the zoo before school started with the Goodfellow kids (there were three of us and five of them)! Back then, they had rides at the zoo too -- the little boats that went in a circle in about an inch of water and a small train you could ride on. One time, they were moving a white rhino -- I don't remember in or out -- but they had him in a huge crate, picking him up with a crane. I got my picture in the paper that time with the crowd watching. We joked which way we'd run if they dropped the crate and the rhino got loose!

Even when I was in high school, we liked to go to the zoo! When my sister was about 13 or 14 (before she could drive), Kathy, Rose and I took Susan and some of her friends to the zoo. We got tired before they were through, so we went back to the car (a light blue Rambler station wagon, no less) to listen to the radio and watch for cute boys (like we were cool in a Rambler station wagon)! Then here came Susan and her friends with a policeman! I thought, "What on earth have they done now?" But it wasn't them, they had a flasher! Oh my gosh, it was hilarious! He didn't try to abduct any of them, and I don't think they were scarred for life -- but the parents had to take them to the police station to look at a line up and mug shots. I don't even remember if they ever caught the guy! But what a memory!

1 comment:

AnnaHatcherDesign said...

LOL took me a minute for the "flasher" part! :) Too funny - all I remember from the zoo when I was little was that the monkeys threw their poop at me and Joanna!!!