Saturday, April 10, 2010

Loving Savannah!



Savannah, Georgia, is my new favorite place! Since I had a conference there a couple of weeks ago, Stacy and I traveled a day early to take in the sights. Words can't describe how much I love that place! The architecture, the parks (squares), the old warehouses on the river, the history -- and the homes! Beautiful - enchanting - mysterious - delicious - shabby cool! The flavor of New Orleans without the seediness.

We walked from our hotel the first night down to the river-front district -- and ended up on the bluff at Moon River Brewery (named in honor of Johnny Mercer who wrote the lyrics to the same-named famous song from Breakfast at Tiffany's - he was born in Savannah). Although they turned the lights out on us right after we were seated -- participating in "Earth Hour" to demonstrate their "greenness" and tribute to their idol "Al" -- we tried to read the menu (black with tiny white type) with one little battery-operated (are batteries really green?) tea-light. But the food was really good -- I had the Awesome Ossabaw Dip (cream cheese, roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes & scallions baked) and a chicken Caesar salad. But trying to eat my salad in the dark and not knowing what I was spearing with my fork was a challenge! And the NCAA basketball championships were on TV -- and they turned it off! There were some unhappy people in that place! We laughed and told our waiter that we all worked for electric companies (a group of us co-op communications people), and that we loved electricity and thought they should be using it! I had to try one of their beer specialties -- Wacky Wit (a hint of cinnamon with an orange slice) -- loved it!

The next day (Sunday) we took the Old Town Trolley Tour of the historic district to get a feel for the layout of the area. First we rode the entire circle (takes about an hour and a half), then got off in a couple of areas we wanted to explore. I love to read southern fiction, and so many of those books have been set in Savannah -- none more famous than Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil -- and of course the movie Forrest Gump! I didn't get the see the famous "bird girl" statue from Midnight -- but I did get to see the Forrest Gump bench (it's in the Railroad Museum at the end of the tour)!

That night we all ate at One-Eyed Lizzie's on the river -- then took the Ghost Tour from Moon River. We didn't get to see any ghosts -- but it was fun hearing the stories! Had a delicious Po Boy sandwich with fried shrimp and a mango/something margarita. Yum!

Monday began my conference, and we were tired that night and stayed in after the conference reception. On Tuesday, Stacy went to the Fort while I was in meetings all day. I had to give a presentation on "Engaging Our Employees" that afternoon. I had begged my co-op friends (I called them my groupies at the meeting) that they had to put "fantastic" on the review even if I sucked! I didn't choke and they seemed to like it -- so I survived my first conference presentation!

Since Tuesday was our last evening there, we wanted to eat someplace that would be really good -- not necessarily expensive, just good. Someone had recommended The Cotton Exchange, so after the group Riverboat Cruise, several of us decided to eat there. I had one of the nightly specials -- Shrimp and Grits, one of my favorite dishes! It was wonderful -- and our waitress was so nice.

I didn't get to visit any of the antique shops there, but I did get a couple of original pendants (for necklaces) -- one an aluminum diamond shape and a the other a fossil stone with interesting silver scrollwork! Usually I get a coffee mug for my souvenir, but we're kind of overrun with coffee mugs right now, so I got a tiny "Waving Girl" statue to diplay in my printer's box. I got to check out a couple of the many artists' galleries there -- and of course, we had to get some chocolate praulines! Ummmm! I can't wait to go back to my newest favorite place!

No comments: