Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Family Christmas

Now that the Christmas weekend is winding down, I can take time to reflect on our 2008 Christmas. It was wonderful having Anna, Casey and John home on Christmas Eve. Anna and I took MawMaw to the Christmas Eve service at our church, Hartford Baptist. It was the perfect way to begin our Christmas with carols, the nativity story from Luke, the Lord's Supper and ending with candlelight singing "Silent Night". By the time we arrived home, Casey and John were only a few minutes away, and we feasted on delicious grilled steaks and baked potatoes.





On Christmas morning, Nanny and MawMaw joined us to open stockings and presents (Santa had stockings for everyone!) We all got more than we needed, and it's always fun. Stacy makes everyone open one at a time, going around the room, so it took us almost two hours to finish -- then it was trash clean-up time! I got a great new bird feeder for the patio, several books by my new favorite author Jennifer Cruise, pillows for my sofa, a new sewing box, and lots of other neat things! John was most thrilled with his "grab-it" tool kit -- and I gave Stacy some Native American DVDs and a money sorter (that was broken in the box and I have to exchange now). Casey wanted mostly gift certificates to a photography store -- and Anna had picked out her major gifts and brought them home for me to wrap (after she had already worn them several times!) It was just good being with the family and enjoying our time together.

That afternoon, niece Jessi came over for our annual "Christmas Cookie Bake"! We've been doing this for years, and I'm sure Casey will continue with Kate when she is old enough to enjoy the dough-rolling and cutting-out and icing them. My kitchen was a mess -- but it was fun as always! That's our "girl time together"!

Christmas evening we all got together at MawMaw's with Stacy's brother Greg and Jessi for a traditional Christmas dinner of ham, dressing, fried okra, chicken & dumplings and MawMaw's rolls.

On Friday, Casey and John left to go to John's family in Wadley. That afternoon, Stacy's other brother Gary and his wife Carolyn arrived from Trussville with the newly-weds Brian and Amanda. Because we weren't sure what time Brian and Amanda would arrive, we decided to get "Oak Grove Fried Shrimp" for dinner -- which was excellent as always. Anna had been looking forward to the shrimp for several months!

The girls decided to take in a movie matinee Saturday afternoon -- "Four Christmasses" starring Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughan which was hilarious! It was good to laugh and enjoy the fun! Then that afternoon, my brother Walker and my two nephews Charles and Graham arrived and we all went to MawMaw's again for a big family "Low Country Shrimp Boil" -- because we just can't get enough shrimp and it's easy -- just throw it all in a big pot and boil. Yum!

So as I wind up today, Stacy, Anna and I went over to my mom's (sorry, but we skipped church because Anna had to leave at 1:00) and ate BBQ. Then after Anna headed back to Atlanta to pick up boyfriend Zach at the airport, Walker and I installed my mom's Christmas present -- new blinds for her windows. We got the 2" plantation blinds for her front bedroom, the den and kitchen. Wow, I was pooped when we got through -- but we weren't through! We went to Lowe's and got her a new mailbox and post (hers had been bashed by some pranksters and the post was rotting) -- then had a great meal at the new Mexican restaurant in Dothan. Enjoyed the Mexican band playing a Hispanic version of "Sweet Home Alabama" and Jimmy Buffet!!!

Walker and the boys return home to South Carolina tomorrow and I'll get back to work on Tuesday, but it has been wonderful having all of our family here during Christmas! God bless us, every one!

1 comment:

AnnaHatcherDesign said...

I enjoyed spending time with you at Christmas! Love you! Thanks for posting the lovely Christmas morning photos. haha