Saturday, December 20, 2008

Last Minute Shopping

I knew better! Honest, I did! You don't go shopping on the weekend before Christmas! But I just needed a few more things to complete my Christmas list! So, after our Sunday School Christmas breakfast this morning, I took off to Dothan to finish up. And I didn't even go to the mall! Just the new "Target" shopping area on 231 -- and brother what a traffic jam! Just made it to Dick's Sporting Goods and Kohl's -- then I got out of there as quick as I could! Never even made it down to Target the cars were backed up so far, and I wanted a latte from Starbucks! After a couple more stops -- the traffic was horrible over at the mall too as I passed by in the other lane! Stopped by my Mom's -- and I was back home by afternoon -- exhausted! But I'm done now -- just have to do the wrapping.

The Sunday School breakfast was at Tony and SueEllen Messick's new home wayyyyyy back off the highway through the woods behind daughter Amy and Brian's home on Hwy. 123. It's beautiful back in there and they have a beautiful home. We had fun fellowshipping and stuffing our faces with homemade biscuits, grits, sweet rolls and sausage balls! I made Casey's "French Toast Casserole" that everyone loved -- they called it a "souffle" -- and I've never made a souffle! I couldn't find Casey's recipe, so I used one that sounded similar from the Internet -- and I've put it below.

Last night -- which was my anniversary that we celebrated by me going to a play and Stacy going to eat oysters! Guess that's how it works after 35 years! He got me a Circle E candle -- Bird of Paradise -- and a diffuser from Hartford's Florist and Gifts. Paul (the owner) certainly knows what I like and takes care of me! I got Stacy a bag of different candies he likes.

Anyway, I got sidetracked again -- must have inherited it from my mother! Last night, Mom, friends Rebecca, Lynn and Sharon, and our IT guru Adam and his wife Sarah, went to the Understudy Dinner Theatre to see "Tuna Christmas" written by Jaston Williams, Ed Howard and Joe Sears! I had seen it before, but it was so funny, even again! It's set in Tuna, Texas, and starred Ron DeVane (owner of the Understudy and the Dothan Dance Club) and a young but very talented Garrett Brolund. The play only has two actors who play all the characters -- which requires quite a few costume changes and wigs. They played a total of 22 different characters including Bertha Bumiller, Aunt Pearl, Inita Goodwin, and Vera Carp. There were so many one-liners that I wish I could remember, and we had fun. It's good to laugh like that!

The food was great -- especially the dessert -- scrumpshious chocolate brownie with fudge and ice cream!

Night Before French Toast Casserole

1 (10-oz.) loaf long thin French bread (18-in. long)
8 eggs
3 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. butter, cut into pats
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Syrups of choice

Grease well a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Cut bread into 1-inch slices. Arrange slices in one layer in bottom of pan. Beat eggs, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla in a large bowl. When thoroughly mixed, pour over bread in pan. Bread will float on top of liquid.

Place a small pat of butter on each piece of bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or up to 36 hours.

Place dish, uncovered, in cold oven. Turn oven to 350 degrees (325 if glass) and bake 45-50 minutes or until bread is puffy and light brown. Remove from oven; allow to set 5 minutes. Bread will rise to top with custard on bottom of dish. Serve with maple or flavored syrups. Yields 9 servings.

2 comments:

Casey said...

Yep, recipe sounds about right. Glad y'all enjoyed it. I botched it up the last time I made it.

FirstClass Foods Inc said...

I think like alot of things, when it comes to taste, it's personal preference. As far as what's good for yourself as well as the earth, grassfed seems to be the choice. enjoy the weekends. happy weekends