Sunday, January 4, 2009

My grandma name?

With baby Kate arriving in just a couple of months, I've been trying to decide what my "grandma name" is going to be. Of course, if Kate makes up her own version, that will be fine with me! But I don't want to be a Mawmaw or a Grandma. I want something cool and hip -- because I'm going to be such a cool and hip grandmother!

Anyway, I've found several places on the internet that discuss grandma names. There are the original names for certain nationalities, but since I don't have a nationality except Anglo-American, those are out. On the first trip I took to Europe when Casey graduated, one of the girl's grandmother was along and she had to call her "grandmere." I thought it was because we were in Germany or France or something, but that is what she insisted on being called!

I can't be like that. I called my dad's mother "grandmommy." I always thought that's what I should call her, but later after she died my mom told me that she really wanted to be "grandmother." Then my mom's mother, who lived in Missouri and I didn't get to see very often, we called "Grandmother Windsor." I would just die if I was an impersonal "Grandmother Hatcher!"

My girls have always called my mom "Nanny" and Stacy's mom "Mawmaw." I like Nanny, but we can't have two of those -- it would confuse Kate. We started out with my dad and Stacy's dad both being granddaddy, but they got confused. So my dad became "Grandpa Hank" and Stacy's dad was "Granddaddy."

So the names I've found that I like are Nonnie, Grandie, Nini and YaYa. But I think I'm going to pick CiCi (for a double of my first name initial). It's easy to say - not hard to spell!

Now we just have to decide for Stacy! It will have to have "Hatch" in there somewhere! We could call him "Patch" -- short for Pappa Hatch!

3 comments:

AnnaHatcherDesign said...

haha! Cute! I like CiCi!

I really like how you had a grandad named bampaw too; that was different and neat. Don't know how that will work with dad though. hmmm I don't know....

AnnaHatcherDesign said...

so Zach apparently likes "Patch" a lot!

Shera P said...

I lke CiCi! I think Mr. Hatcher should go with "Hatch!" Suits him to a T.