Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year 2010!

Where has the decade gone? It seems like yesterday I was helping to chaperone our church youth trip to Atlanta for Youth Link 2000 -- and we were all wondering if the world was going to go dark at midnight!

We managed to survive that media threat -- and now we're dealing with the latest -- global warming! Sometimes I worry about what the next decade will bring -- it seems like the world is changing so fast it's hard to keep up. Not long ago we were all impressed with big clunky bag phones as the "latest thing" -- now we have the iphone and Blackberry where you can connect to the Internet from just about anywhere, electronic books like Kindle that you can download and store hundreds of books, and Facebook where you can connect with long lost "friends" instantly. PCs and email are just about obsolete! And our country is building up a national debt that we'll never be able to dig our way out of, I'm afraid.

Sometimes I want to scream, "Hold up -- it's going too fast -- my mind can't comprehend it all!" And I realize I'm getting older and want to slow down! That's when I'm glad I live in the country -- next to a very small town (about 2,000) -- with one 4-way stop between me and my work! I need my "green" fix every day -- trees and fields rolling with cotton and peanuts, or freshly plowed dirt! Where people are are still grounded in common sense -- and faith -- and a sense of community.

So this new year, I'm not making resolutions -- just continuing on with what I've always tried to do -- doing something worthwhile each day -- trying to make my community the best it can be -- and being grateful to God for all that He has blessed Stacy and me with. 2009 has been a wonderful year with the birth of our first grandchild, Kate -- my mom's health better with her pacemaker -- Stacy's mom getting her new knee -- Anna's success with her free-lancing business.

The new year has already started off good! My brother Walker and his boys were here for black-eyed peas, turnip greens and cornbread today -- and Auburn finally (after 3 tries and overtime) won the Outback Bowl game! WAR EAGLE and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: