Sunday, January 10, 2010

TV reality woes

Like the books that I love to read, the shows I love to watch on TV are the ones that are a little quirky and funny. Life is too serious to have to spend my evenings watching serious shows. Keep it light -- that's my motto.

I'm holding my breath for Dancing with the Stars to start back -- plus Design Star. Can't wait for Project Runway which begins a new season this week. I don't like reality shows that feature people's lives and intrusive TVs into those lives. The people on those shows must be really hard up for money or have a really high opinion of themselves.

The Bachelor on ABC started last week, and since I watched last season's Bachelorette and thought Jake was cute and seemed so "guy next door" -- I decided to watch the first show. Plus, Anna's ex-roommate auditioned for the show in Atlanta and almost made it -- so I wanted to see the girls that did make it. Good grief! They were so cheesy and put on -- and some were downright slutty! And the girls Jake picked were the most shallow ones there! That's it for me -- not watching any more.

However . . . immediately after the Bachelor was a show called "The Conveyor Belt of Love." Now how's that for a name? Five women sat before a conveyor belt that and ran about 30 guys through on a conveyor belt. Their job was to convince the women to choose them. It was hilarious! And the goal wasn't everlasting love -- it was just a date! The beautiful blond chose the chubby nice guy with a great sense of humor. The shallow princess chose the shallow buff guy (that I really thought was gay)! Evidently it will be a series -- but it's received bad reviews in the press as a "meat market." No worse than The Bachelor is with women -- and much more entertaining!

HGTV's finally got something new going besides real estate shows. "Design Interns" is okay, but a little dull -- it's not a "Design Star." I like the "Outdoor Room" and the new "Curb Appeal" and "First Time Design." The Antonio Treatment looks interesting -- last season's Design Star winner is different but likeable.

I'm watching "Launch My Line" on Bravo, but it's not Project Runway -- and I liked "The Fashion Show" better. I wish they'd bring back Top Design, but it isn't listed on their website. I love "Shear Genius" though -- a hair style reality show. It's been pretty entertaining the past couple of years and starts back Feb. 3! But I can't stand those "Housewives of every big city in the country" shows. Just a bunch of whiny rich you-know-whats.

Color Splash, Divine Design and Design on a Dime are still my HGTV favorites. I wish any of those shows would come do my house!

They've also had some pretty good shows on the FOOD channel. The Next Iron Chef was good -- now they have a quirky "Worst Cook in America" on Sunday nights! Now that's pretty good for a new twist!

And I love "The Tudors" on Showtime, but it wasn't worth the money for a subscription last year. They didn't have any movies I wanted to watch, and their original shows are only about sex addicts, drug addicts or lesbians. I'll just wait for the DVD to come out on Netflix and skip the regular season this time.

Maybe they'll bring back The Newlyweds on ABC. But until then -- I'll keep watching for those quirky shows and "made for TV" movies on the Hallmark Channel (but not Lifetime TV movies)!

No comments: