Tuesday, November 18, 2008

It's almost Thanksgiving . . .

I can't believe next week is Thanksgiving -- and it will soon be 2009! Where has this year gone? The older I get, the quicker it goes! Can't wait to have the family together again -- even if we do have Thanksgiving dinner on Friday! It's not the date that counts -- it's being together.

And I have so many things to be thankful for -- my two beautiful talented daughters who amaze me with their creativity -- a great son-in-law and a great boyfriend for daughter #2 -- my precious grandbaby Kate who will arrive in March -- my job (even though I like to complain about it alot) -- my friends at work that I can vent to -- and my friend Ann who has been battling cancer for a long time and who is still hanging in there -- my home and family nearby, and some a little further away -- my mom and her Minneola stories -- my gas logs so I can cuddle up with my comfy blanket by the fire and read -- our Subway (pizzas are perfect) and Mom's Kitchen (those Lalo burgers) and Oak Grove Mall (great fried shrimp) that I'm learning to depend on more -- I don't have to live in the city and battle traffic to get to work (just slow tractors)! We have been truly blessed!

Talking about time flying -- I've been trying not to get all stressed about being so overloaded with what I need to do -- mostly at work. My Purpose Driven Daily Devotional today helped me put it in perspective:

". . .we couldn’t get it all done, and God never intended for us to make completing a to-do list the purpose of our lives. The fact is, there are many things we think we must do that really are not worth doing. You won’t simplify your life by getting an electronic organizer. Simplifying is really about choices – prioritizing what is important – and then sticking to those choices no matter how tempting it is to add more to your to-do list. In fact, take those tempting activities and put them on a list of things not to do. You are the only one who can assume responsibility for your time and clarify what’s really important to you. "

So I'm going to try to do more of "let go, let God"!

I've really enjoyed having Netflix. Daughter #2 talked me into it! I can take my time browsing movies -- and I've found some really funny English movies (they have the same kind of wacky, wierd sense of humor I do) and some good mini-series. One I'm almost through with (the last disc should come tomorrow so I can complete the series) is titled "The House of Elliott" -- a good mini-series about two English ladies during the 1920s and 30s who start a house of fashion. In addition to being entertaining, it's a good look into the difficulties of life at that time for women who weren't married.

Something else I came across this week from Tammie B. at work is this Amazing Grace video by some Italian dudes. Their singing is so good -- and they're not bad to look at either!

No comments: